At IUCN (International Union for Conservation Nature) office, a meeting was held between the officials of IUCN and Centre of Excellence CPEC members on 02-05-2017. The purpose of the meeting was to create a liaison between the two institutions and to discuss ideas for future joint projects and collaborations.
Meeting was attended by Mr. Mahmood Akhtar Cheema (Country Representative, IUCN, Pakistan), Ms. Fauzia Bilquis (Regional Head, IUCN, Pakistan), Dr. Shahid Rashid (Executive Director, CoE-CPEC), Dr. Saleem Janjua (Policy Head, CoE-CPEC) and Ms. Numra Asif (Research Assistant, CoE-CPEC)
The highlight of the meeting was that a number of potential areas of collaboration between Centre of Excellence for CPEC and IUCN were discussed. Some of them are as follows,
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) of the 9 Special Economic Zones, Wetlands and Protected Areas along CPEC route should be conducted
- Periodic seminars for mainstreaming environment to CPEC operation, and seminars focusing on environmental protection, and sustainable urbanization in the 9 SEZs should be planned and conducted.
- Capacity building and trainings at local, national and international scale should be conducted
- Creation of public awareness on sustainable development along CPEC route should be carried out.
- A study identifying Biological Corridor along the CPEC should be conducted