Acting Thematic Head CPEC Trade and Industry Corporation
Mr. Ahasn Abbas is the Senior Research Fellow at Centre of Excellence CPEC (CECPEC). His professional experience as a faculty, trainer, researcher, analyst and consultant in several public and private sector organizations ranges 17 years. He has served Planning Commission of Pakistan, PIDE, Islamabad, Economic Affairs Division (EAD), National Productivity Organization (NPO), Ministry of industries and Production, Ministry of Culture, Sports and Youth Affairs, Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad, International Islamic University (IIU) Islamabad, Air University Islamabad, GIFT University, Gujranwala, Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI), Islamabad and Innovative Development Strategies (IDS), Islamabad. He has been associated with various national and international organizations including Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP), Purdue University, USA, Partnership for Economic Policy (PEP) Network, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Pakistan Institute of trade and Development (PITAD), South Asia watch on Trade, Economics & Environment (SAWTEE), South Asia Network on Economic Modeling (SANEM). Currently he has also been included in the team for the Pakistan Institute for Parliamentary Services (PIPS) Budget Research Desk 2017-18 as a Subject Expert on Budget and Economy. He has published his work in the areas of both theoretical and applied economics with emphasis on quantitative analysis. He has practical knowledge and experience of econometrics and CGE modeling with application in the area of economic development & planning, international trade, investment and industrial economics at both national and international level. Presently he is pursuing his PhD in Economics from Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), Islamabad. He holds a M. Phil from Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad.
List of Publications/Conference Papers and Projects:
- Ahmed, Vaqar, Ahsan Abbas, and Saira Ahmed. 2013. Public Infrastructure and Economic Growth in Pakistan: A Dynamic CGE Micro-Simulation Analysis. Chapter published in Economic Studies in Inequality, Social Exclusion and Well-Being, 117-143, 2013, Springer International Publishing.
- Ahmed, Vaqar, Ahsan Abbas, and Saira Ahmed. 2010. Taxation Reforms: A CGE Micro-Simulation Analysis for Pakistan. Development Economics eJournal, Volume 2, Number 182, October, 2010.
- Ahmed, Vaqar and Ahsan Abbas. 2010. Global Financial Crisis, MDGs, and Choices for Pakistan’s Inclusive Development. Paper presented in 13th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis, Penang Malaysia June 9-11, 2010.
- Abbas, Ahsan, and Vaqar Ahmed. 2009. Development Paradox in Pakistan. Paper presented in 9th National Conference at SZABIST, Islamabad Pakistan on June 25, 2009.
- Iqbal, Shehzad, and Ahsan Abbas. 2009. Role of Zakat in Poverty Reduction and Fair Resource Distribution: A Step towards Economic Development. Paper presented in National Conference on Global Management at FAST-NU, Karachi Pakistan on July 24-25, 2009.
- World Bank Trade Strategy Project: Literature Review, Survey and Analysis on investment and competitiveness. Submitted to SDPI, Pakistan.
- UNDP Women-led Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (WMSME) Project: Survey Interviews, Key Informant Interviews (KII), Focus Group Discussions (FGD), Reports, Project Presentation and survey write-up.
- Pak-Afghan Trade Project: Pakistan-Afghanistan trade & investment cooperation review; situation analysis of trade facilitation in Afghanistan, issues in informal trade between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Submitted to SDPI, Pakistan.
- Poverty and Social Impact Analysis of Expanded Program on Immunization in Pakistan. Report submitted to UNDP and Ministry of Finance, Pakistan.
- Inclusive Budget Project: Scope studies on Taxing and Expenditures Reforms under finance bill 2013. Research Brief on Impact of Budget 2013 on monetary policy. Research Brief on Impact of New IMF Program for Pakistan. Submitted to SDPI,